Friday, January 20, 2012

The Subtleties of Time

Theo's starting to tell time (on a digital clock), but he doesn't quite have the concept yet. However, he does understand the concept of arguing and likes to do it whenever possible--even though sometimes it doesn't quite benefit him as he'd like! Today we had this exchange when I put him down for nap time/quiet time:

Me: Okay, Theo, have a good rest. It's 2:15, so you can get up at 3:45.
Theo: No, I don't want to get up at 3:45. I want to get up at 4:00!
Me: Okay, but you don't have to wait that long--you can get up at 3:45 if you'd like.
Theo: No. Tomorrow I will get up at 3:45. Today I want to get up at 4:00.

The child doesn't particularly enjoy napping or quiet time, so I'm quite certain he only wants to get up at 4:00 because he thinks it's earlier than 3:45. Hey, suits me fine--15 extra minutes of quiet time for Mama!

No comments: