Monday, January 30, 2012

The Composer

Theo, the budding singer/songwriter/musician, likes to compose original songs frequently--though sometimes his timing is a little questionable. For example, I'm sure his little friend was thrilled recently when he got put on time-out by his mom, and Theo promptly started singing a song he composed entitled "The Time-Out Song."

Yesterday, he composed an original song for me...again, at a rather inopportune time. Theo had been misbehaving for the better part of an hour (just getting into everything he wasn't supposed to and generally testing boundaries), and I needed to go get sick (late-pregnancy side effect--I do this almost daily now). So I retreated to the bathroom to take care of my misery, and Theo followed me in and proceeded to dump an entire basket of stuff in the bathtub to try to "break it!" Exasperated by this point and trying to get sick in peace, I said calmly but firmly, "You need to go play in your room until I'm done in the bathroom." He ran into his room, and I started to relax a bit--until he came running back in, guitar in hand, and proceeded to compose and sing a song with a chorus that repeated, "Mama poops in her pants and pees on the floor!"

I was torn between wanting to laugh and wanting to throw a roll of toilet paper at his head. I compromised by resting my head in my hands and saying, "Will you please go play your guitar in your room so I can get sick in peace?"

And for the record, I have neither pooped my pants nor peed on the floor. But I know someone who will surely compose a new song about it if I do!

No comments: