Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Preschool Fashion

Theo has a job chart at home now--he gets a star for each of his daily chores as he completes them. He's working toward a CD of his choice when he fills up the chart--big excitement! So, he's been pretty happy to participate in this new adventure.

One of his jobs is to get himself dressed. This is a tough one because despite being able to complete amazingly complex tasks for a preschooler, he sometimes struggles with simple things, such as snaps and getting his legs into two separate pant legs. So, dressing himself often results in many screams of frustration. And my rule is that if he shrieks while doing the task, I ignore him--but if he needs help with it, he can ask me in a normal voice, and I will help him. Being a perfectionist, he usually resorts immediately to shrieking when he doesn't get something right on the first try. But, we persevere...

Today, I handed him his pants, shirt, and underwear, sent him into the second bathroom, and said, "Get yourself dressed for school while I finish brushing my hair." I then went to my bathroom and anticipated screams. There were none. It was quiet and lovely, and I patted myself on the back, thinking, "Wow, he finally got it! That if he needs help, there's no need to start shrieking!"

Or not so much... Instead, he strolled into my bathroom a few minutes later, wearing nothing but white socks and covered in a thick white substance. He plopped a tub of Cetaphil lotion on my counter and said, "Here you go, Mama! I'm all done!"

I had the hardest time not laughing as my son stood there, naked except for socks and covered in lotion, clearly proud of his accomplishment! And I thought to myself, "Well, who needs clothes for preschool? At least he's well moisturized!"

No comments: