Saturday, January 14, 2012

He Keeps Outsmarting Us

Theo woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and has been rather feisty and combative all day. This morning, we got in the car to go the Berkeley Arboretum (which he loves), and he was being really demanding, whiny, and contrary about the music on the radio. After a warning to settle down, which he did not heed, we followed through on our punishment: turning off the music for five minutes. For Theo, this is the worst punishment of all, as music is his life.

This prompted a hearty shriek of outrage and a few tears, and then he suddenly got quiet. And we soon found out why. There was an iPod on the seat next to him, and as soon as he noticed it, he grabbed it, turned on the music, and looked very satisfied with himself. I tried not to snicker as I realized I'd been outsmarted (once again) by the clever preschooler.

"Nice try, buddy!" I commented as I took the iPod away from him. "No music for five minutes."

Another hearty shriek followed, along with tears, and then he yelled, "THEN I'M JUST GOING TO SING A SONG!!"

I give! What am I going to do, tell the kid not to sing? Sing away, my son...sing away....

No comments: