Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thank You for Smoking

Today we took Theo to the Lawrence Hall of Science, which he loved. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and we eventually had to leave and go to lunch. This did not please Theo, and he railed at us all the way to the car, demanding that he did not want to leave and that we were going to stay. We tuned him out and continued to walk to the car, knowing that there's no point in arguing with a four-year-old who is convinced that he makes all the rules. Better to just strap him in the car, wait until he settles down, and then address it.

But the funny thing about Theo is that his tantrums aren't often the screaming variety--more often, he just gets very angry and tells you in a very stern voice what he thinks about things. And so was the case today. As we walked back to the car, I tuned back into his fit when I heard the following:

Theo: And I am going to go to the restaurant and I am going to smoke in there!

We don't smoke, and there's only one person in our extended family who smokes, so I was a bit perplexed.

Me: Theo, what did you say?
Theo: I'm going to smoke in that restaurant!
Me: Um, no. I don't think you are.
Theo: Yes I am! I am going to go up to the alarm, and I am going to pull it, and I am going to smoke in that restaurant!

Aha! Mystery solved. He thinks the fire alarm creates smoke. And if there's smoke in the restaurant, we have to leave and, presumably, come back to the Lawrence Hall of Science instead. Which actually is a very clever plot, if you think about it. I'm not sure how my four-year-old knows enough to realize that if he pulls a smoke alarm, it will create a situation where he can leave a restaurant, but apparently he does. Even if his facts are a bit messed up. I, for one, am just happy he's not actually planning to take up smoking....

No comments: