Thursday, November 8, 2012

Etiquette According to Theo

Theo's in a rather bossy, "I want to be in charge" phase at the moment. Which is often annoying but sometimes amusing. Yesterday, it was amusing (well, at least partly) when our conversation took this turn:

Me: Theo, are you finished with lunch?
Theo: Yes.
Me: Okay, then you can clear your plates. But I'll take this last piece of orange...
Theo (snottily): No! I want it!
Me (not relenting simply because he was snotty in the way he talked to me): You said you were finished, so I'm going to eat this last one.
Theo (lunging at me and knocking the orange out of my hand as he tried to grab it): No! It's MINE!
Me (shooting him "the look"): I'm eating the last piece of orange. You do NOT talk to me that way. You use a calm voice. Now, take a deep breath and calm down, or you'll need to go spend five minutes in your room.
Theo (taking a deep breath and lowering his voice to a reasonable level): Mommy, you do NOT take the last piece of the orange. It is not polite AT ALL! You need to go on a timeout right now!

I had to stifle a laugh. Because really, it's not terribly polite to take food from someone's plate. ;-)

No comments: