Sunday, October 14, 2012

Scam Artist

Theo is a consummate scam artist. Yesterday, his skills were on full display at CuriOdyssey (a small zoo/science museum). I was sitting on a shady bench with Sam, who was napping in the stroller. Theo had been off exploring with Chris and came running up to me. I picked him up and asked what he'd been doing, and we had the following conversation:

Theo: Mommy, how are you feeling?
Me: I'm feeling just fine, Theo. How are you?
Theo (in a weak-sounding voice): I'm feeling a little bit sick.
Me (suspicious, given that he had been running around happily all day...but still wanting to show the appropriate concern): You're sick? How?
Theo (weakly): My froat [throat]. Look at it.
Me: Your throat hurts? [Peering in his mouth, I see nothing amiss.]
Theo (still weakly): Yes. My froat hurts. I'm sick.
Me: I'm sorry you don't feel well....
Theo (and still weakly): I fink maybe a popsicle would help me feel better....

Aha! The real motive surfaces! I laughed, put him down, and said, "Nice try!"...and he ran off happy as ever. Funny how quickly that "sore throat" cleared up!

No comments: