Friday, October 26, 2012

A New Tactic

Theo likes to stir up trouble at the lunch table at school. Often he uses potty talk to do so, but sometimes he finds other ways to try to incite a riot among his peers. Today, he came home from school with a nearly full lunchbox, and I knew he must've been stirring up trouble and lost his lunch privileges. So we had a chat:

Me: Theo, why didn't you eat your lunch?
Theo: I was all done.
Me: Oh, you weren't hungry?
Theo: No, Miss Jessica said I was all done.
Me: Why did she say you were all done?
Theo: Because I wasn't behaving at the lunch table.
Me: I see. And what were you doing?
Theo: I was stomping my feet.
Me: Didn't Teacher Amanda tell you to use quiet legs, quiet body at the lunch table?
Theo: Yes.
Me: So why were you stomping your feet?
Theo: Because I wanted my friends to stomp their feet. I was doing a lesson for them.

Ah, I see. Foot-stomping has been a problem in the past, so I know full well that Teacher Amanda has specifically told Theo not to stomp his feet at lunch...and I know that he knows not to do it. Last week, he attempting to blame lunchtime foot-stomping on an imaginary friend. I see that this week he has moved on to the "I'll pretend I'm the teacher so I'm above the law" strategy. Well-played, Theo, well-played... Alas, Miss Jessica enforced the law anyway, so he came home a hungry little boy.

No comments: