Wednesday, October 3, 2012

He Likes Big Butts and He Cannot Lie...

If you were born in the 1970s or early 1980s, chances are you've heard a little song by Sir Mix-a-Lot called "Baby Got Back." It's horrible and degrading...and terribly catchy. Admit it--if you grew up with you, you secretly love it! But it's not a kid-friendly song—the lyrics aren't something you really want your kid repeating at preschool...or church...or pretty much anywhere.

Like many other people in my age group, I have this song on my iPod. And in the time before iPods, I had it on a CD. And one day, I gave Theo a bunch of my old mix CDs. And what did he gravitate to? You guessed it--"Baby Got Back." When I heard him singing, "I like big BUTTS and I cannot lie..." I immediately confiscated the CD and put it away in a drawer.

Fast-forward six months. Theo found a bunch of CDs in a drawer and said, "Can I listen to this one?" I said yes, not thinking anything of it. And the little booger remembered exactly which track number "Baby Got Back" is!

I was nursing Sam when I heard the opening bars and Theo repeating the first line: "Oh...my...God, Becky, look at her butt! It's so big!" I immediately yelled into the next room, "Theo, not appropriate! Turn off that CD!"

His response? An innocent, "Oh, Mommy, I was just looking for Track 2. I can listen to Track 2 on this CD!"

Uh huh...that's why he "accidentally" played it several more times before I was able to get up and confiscate it. And why he's been walking around going, "Oh...my...God, Becky, look at her butt!" all evening.

He couldn't have found the Mozart CD, could he? It had to be Sir Mix-a-Lot....

No comments: