Thursday, October 4, 2012

Letter of the Law

Theo is a master of following the letter of the law...which makes setting rules somewhat exhausting. Most recently, this involved his current song obsession, "Baby Got Back." As I wrote in my previous post, I won't let him listen to that song because I don't want him repeating the lyrics, which really are pretty awful. (I'm no prude, but let's face it: The song totally objectifies women! I'm somewhat aghast that I even have the song...but it's catchy and a bit of a nostalgia trip from my younger days.)

Anyhoo...yesterday Theo found the CD, started to play it, and immediately started repeating the lyrics. So I confiscated it. Alas, that was not to be the end of it. This morning at breakfast, he piped up with a variation on the first line: "Oh...my...God, Becky. Look at all these butts!" (The actual line is "Look at her butt," and I have to admit that "Look at all these butts!" made me almost burst out laughing! Butts everywhere!! Yeah, we know where he gets his sense of humor from, don't we?!)

I quickly recovered and said sternly, "Theo, you know that's not appropriate. Do not say it again."

And Mr. Letter-of-the-Law replied, "Oh...my...God, Sammy. Look at her eyes!" I shot him a look, and he said, "I could say that, Mama! That's very appropriate!"

I thought for a moment and decided that he was pushing it (purposely!) and that I wanted to win this battle. So I replied, "It's not appropriate to say 'Oh my God,' either, Theo. Don't say that, either."

And so Mr. Smartass replied, "Oh...my...gosh, Sammy! Look at her butt! It's all wibbly-wubbly!"

Sigh...yes, I managed not to laugh at the "wibbly-wubbly" comment. Even though I was secretly chuckling inside, because let's face it--lots of butts are wibbly-wubbly, including my own! And the song doesn't say that, so I was kind of amused that he put his own spin on it. I'll never admit that to him, though. Instead, I'll spend my time trying to de-program "Baby Got Back" from his brain. So he can find another topic on which to outsmart me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post, where is the rss? I cant find it!

Cathleen said...

Anonymous: I don't know how to direct you to it! There IS one, but Blogger set it up for me. I have no idea how. Sorry--I'm not that tech-savvy! :-)