Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Literary Scholar?

I ordered Theo a set of 20 science/nature-themed mini-books from Scholastic. They arrived a couple of days ago, and I unwrapped them today. I handed him the first one and said, "Hey, instead of me reading it to you, why don't you try reading it to me? I bet you can recognize some of the words." He promptly read the entire book to me. And the next three in the series. While Chris and I sat there in somewhat stunned silence. We knew he was recognizing a lot more sight words lately, but we didn't know he was actually reading. "Theo!" I exclaimed. "You've been working so hard! I didn't know you could read books by yourself!!" He just looked at me calmly and replied, "Yeah, well, Mom...I *am* in kindergarten." Of course. They're probably starting War and Peace next week.

No comments: