Friday, October 11, 2013

Every Problem Has a Solution

The other day, we were sitting in traffic on the way to Theo's school, and he spied a DVD player showing a Curious George video in the minivan in front of us.

"Mommy! They have TV in their car!" he exclaimed.
"Uh huh," I replied.
"Can we have TV in our car?"
"No," I said.
"Why not?"
"Because we don't need TV in our car."
"Why not?" he repeated.
"Because you get plenty of chances to watch TV at home. You don't need to watch it in the car, too."

He dropped it at that, and I was relieved not to be nagged any further about it. About 10 minutes later, he announced, "Mommy, I had a dream about Grandma Diane last night."

"You did?" I said.
"Yes," he replied. She came to babysit me. And you and Daddy and Sammy left. It was just me and Grandma Diane, and she drove me all around in her car!"

I thought that it was rather sweet that he was happily relating this dream where he spent time with his beloved grandma...and then his true motive emerged.

"We were driving all around in her car," he continued, "and she had a TV in it! And then she told me we could put the TV in our car, Mommy! Because Grandma Diane loves to share with me, and she said she would share her TV with me and we could put it in our car!"

Ah. Clever, grasshopper. Very clever. But not clever enough—we're still not getting a DVD player for the car!

No comments: