Monday, August 12, 2013

Well, No One Ever Said It Was Exciting...

Theo, Sam, and I were driving to San Francisco today to meet Chris at his office for lunch. Theo was, as usual, keeping up a stream-of-consciousness string of chatter about everything and nothing. All of a sudden, out of the blue, he announced, "Mom, I don't like turch."And we had the following conversation:

Me: What's turch? You mean torch? Like fire?
Theo: No, turch! It starts with a T.
Me: I have no idea what turch is. Can you explain it to me?
Theo: You know, we went one time and there was a big video screen and lots of songs....

And then it dawned on me: church! Though I was surprised he'd bring it up, since we have taken him to church exactly once--last Christmas Eve, which was eight months ago. We don't attend church, but we decided to go to Christmas Eve mass last year because both Chris and I felt like we owed the big man a thanks for sending Sam to us safely (despite some complications during labor), and because we thought Theo might enjoy the Christmas music. As it turns out, he lasted exactly 20 minutes, and then we left. And that was fine--it was long enough for us to give our thanks.

Me: Oh, you mean church! I can't believe you even remember church....
Theo: Yeah, church. I don't like church.
Me: Why not?
Theo: It's boring, Mom. It's really boring. It's even more boring than school.

Oh. Well, that's probably true. No one ever said church was particularly exciting....

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Cathleen,

We had friends who had to quit taking their son to church for a while. He kept pointing at the Jesus at the front of the church and demanding loudly to know "If God's in Heaven, then who's that guy up there?"

Ruth

Cathleen said...

Ha! Smart kid!!