Monday, August 5, 2013

Secret Professions

Although Theo and my Uncle David technically share no blood, my aunt and I are pretty convinced that they must share DNA in some way. They are two peas in a pod in many ways, even if one is five years old and one is in his eighties.

Recently, my aunt and uncle sent Theo some old maps they had been saving (for what, I'm not sure), with the comment from my uncle that "you're never too young to learn about countries changing names!" So this morning, Theo was perusing a map of Yugoslavia with great interest, asking me about the cities and such. At one point he announced:

Theo: Mom, I love maps. I want to have like 720 maps!
Me: That's a lot of maps! Hey, do you know what they call a person who makes maps?
Theo: Yes.
Me: You do?
Theo: Yes. Uncle David.

Aha! My uncle masqueraded as a botanist and teacher for all those years, when really he was secretly a cartographer!

No comments: