Friday, May 3, 2013

What to Do When Mom Won't Let You Use Sharp Things

The other day, a big box of diapers arrived from Amazon. For whatever reason, Theo felt the need to open this box, so he grabbed his child-friendly scissors and tried to break the tape. Perhaps not surprisingly, they didn't work, so he strode into the kitchen, where I was feeding Sam, and announced, "Mom, I need something sharp."

I laughed and said, "I'm not giving you a sharp object."

While arguing with me (because that's what five-year-old Theo does), he rifled through the utensil drawer and produced a cheese slicer. "This will work," he announced, and headed off to open the box.

"No, honey, that's not going to work, and I don't want it used on the box!" I called.

"Why?" he demanded.

"Because it's not sharp enough to open it, and if you try, you'll break my cheese slicer."

"Okay, Mom," he said, surprisingly agreeably, and put the cheese slicer back...and promptly pulled out a pizza cutter. "I'm going to try this," he announced.

I snickered, "I don't think that's going to work either, but you can try it."

"Yes, it will work, Mommy," he announced, heading back out to open the box.

It didn't...and he again lobbied for a sharp object. I vetoed, of course. I was impressed by his choice of tools, though. I'm not sure many would think to open a box with a cheese slicer or a pizza cutter!

2 comments:

Jonna said...

I'm curious to know why the pizza cutter didn't work. Did he take it to the side of the box? It seems like if he attacked the tape seams the pizza cutter would do the job...

Cathleen said...

You know, I'm not sure. I was in the kitchen feeding Sam, and the box was out in the entryway. I kept telling him I'd open it when I was finished feeding Sam, but he was determined to get the job done himself!