Friday, May 24, 2013

Accuracy in Self-Portraiture

Theo becomes a stickler for the rules when it suits him. For example, the child who will whine and complain about being asked to wash his hands during the day is suddenly an incredibly diligent hand-washer in the middle of the night, if it delays his return to bed. Similarly, the child who doesn't like drawing and who will whip out a piece of artwork in 15 seconds if it means he can just be done with it becomes a slave to accuracy in the human form if it means he can use his current favorite word. Witness the drawing he made while working with his occupational therapist:



Theo (running out to the waiting area to show me his masterpiece): Mom! I drew a picture of me!
Me (immediately noticing a certain appendage but choosing to ignore it): Oh, that's great, honey! Look, it even has your curly hair!
Theo: And a penis!
Me: Uh, I see that. Theo, that's really not appropriate...
Theo (giggling, as he knows this isn't terribly appropriate): Why?
Me: Penises are private. You don't need to put them in your drawings. Next time you draw yourself, you can just leave that out.
Theo: But Mom, I needed to make sure I drew every part of my body. 

Notice that "every party of my body" apparently doesn't include toes--likely because they're not nearly as exciting as penises. In case you're wondering what the scribble next to about Theo's right knee is, he informed me that it's "a bottom" (with further giggling). "I see," I said. "Bottoms are usually attached to you. Why isn't this one?" His only reply was more giggling and, "It's a bottom! I drew a bottom!"

Also notice that there appear to be two penises in Theo's self-portait. I assure you, that is just wishful thinking on Theo's part. After all, wouldn't most men think that two penises is double the fun?!

No comments: