Saturday, May 4, 2013

And Still More Creative Solutions...

I just posted yesterday about Theo's attempts to open a box with scissors, a cheese slicer, and a pizza cutter...and today, he was up to more problem-solving antics. You see, recently his CD player died, so we got a new one. We'd had the Volume knob taped down on the old CD player because he couldn't seem to moderate the volume to an appropriate level, but when we got the new one, we told him we'd let him try it without tape. AND THEN WE WERE BACK TO VERY LOUD VOLUME ALL OF THE TIME!! To his credit, he was good about turning it down when we told him to, but it was still annoying to have LOUD MUSIC BLARING every time we turned around. And he seemed to be having trouble keeping his voice down, too--a problem we've been working on for well over a year. He had made a lot of progress, but with the new un-taped Volume knob, the problem seemed to be coming back.

So, I made the executive decision to tape down the Volume knob on the new CD player. As you can imagine, Theo was not happy about it at all!

Theo: Mom! I do not want you to tape down that knob!
Me: I know you don't, but it's either that or I take the radio away altogether. It's just too loud for my ears.
Theo: Don't take it away! I am just going to take that tape and hide it in the secretary desk and put a big, big padlock on it so you can't get it!
Me: You can't lock the secretary. And besides, I always have more tape. This is not up for discussion, buddy.
Theo: Then I am going to just take that tape off the radio!
Me: Then I will take the radio away.
Theo: No! Don't take the radio away! I am just going to put hand lotion on the radio, and that will take off the sticky tape!

At this point, I was impressed by the ingenuity--he wouldn't take the tape off, but the lotion would, by removing the stickiness. Very clever. Alas, Mama won the battle, and there is tape on the radio...much to Theo's chagrin.

No comments: