Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Diarrhea...of the Mouth

Theo has been feeling a little off for several days, but it was nothing we could pinpoint--just generally kind of mellow (very unlike Theo!) and only picking at his food. Last night, he had diarrhea in the middle of the night, so I think we have our answer. But the amusing part of this is his repeated attempts to convince us that he's well and what we need to do. I am currently Enemy Number One for making him stay home from school, so we've had a lot of arguing this morning. Here's a condensed version of some of his clever plans to get his way:

Theo: Mom! I am not sick! I'm feeling very well!
Me: Well, your tummy is sick, and you can't go to school with a sick tummy. It's against the rules.
Theo: Mom! You need to call Teacher Amanda and tell her I am just fine!
Me: Sorry, buddy. No school today. We'll see how you're doing tomorrow.
Theo: Mom! But I want to ride my bus!
Me: Maybe tomorrow...
Theo: But it's Miss Jeannie today! I'll tell you what, Mom. You just call the bus people, and you tell them to reschedule, and Miss Jeannie can come tomorrow.
Me: You can see Miss Jeannie next week. Tomorrow is Ricardo....
Theo: But I want Miss Jeannie! Where's my iPhone? [Runs off to find his iPod Touch and returns with it clutched in his hand, yelling hysterically] WHERE IS MY CALENDAR APP??? IT'S GONE! I NEED MY CALENDAR APP!!
Me (taking the iPod): It's right here--it's not gone. Why do you need your calendar?
Theo (taking the iPod back from me and busily doing something on it): There! I rescheduled the bus! Miss Jeannie will come tomorrow! It's all done, Mom.
Me (trying not to laugh): Okay. Or you'll see her next week....
Theo: Mom! I need to go to school today! I need to play with my friends!
Me: You can't, buddy. We don't want to get your friends sick.
Theo: Yes, I do!
Me: But if you get Gavin sick, he won't be there to play with you on Thursday....
Theo: Well, I will just play with Ismael, then.
Me: I'm sorry, buddy--we can't have you go to school. Maybe tomorrow.
Theo: Mom! I have a great idea. How about we decorate our house like school?
Me: That is a great idea. I'm not sure how we'll do it, but it's a good idea....
Theo: Okay, Mom, you need to call Teacher Amanda and have her bring all the stuff from my classroom here. She needs to bring all the toys here....

And on and on. He's quite sure he can work out this situation. So much for a stomach bug slowing him down, eh?

No comments: