Friday, June 15, 2012

You like me! You really like me!

Remember the infamous Sally Field Oscar-acceptance speech where she said, "You like me!"? I felt that way the other day. Theo has only recently begun to verbally express love. He has shown it for a long time, but he never verbally said "I love you" until a couple of months ago, when he said it to Sam. (Side note: I think it's awesome that his first "I love you" went to his baby brother!) He continues to say it to Sam frequently. Shortly after he said it to Sam, he also said it to Chris. And then the dogs. But never me.

Now, I know that Theo loves me. In fact, second to Sam, he probably loves me more than anyone. I'm his mom, and I'm with him all of the time. But therein lies the problem: I'm his mom, and I'm with him all the time, so I'm the chief disciplinarian most of the time. And I have to devote a fair bit of attention to his baby brother. These things probably bug Theo, so he doesn't feel like telling me he loves me. And that's fine. Well, it's mostly fine. I let Theo think it's fine, and I know logically that it's fine...but a tiny piece of me would love to hear an "I love you" from him sometime...when he's ready.

The other day, we got close! He was sitting on my lap watching an episode of Blue's Clues when he turned around, put his arm around my neck, and said, "Mommy, I just...like you."

It's close. I'll take it. :-)

No comments: