Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Theodore Henry, Esq.

I think Theo has a serious future as a lawyer. Now that he has learned to ask questions, he's like a pitbull--never letting go until he gets the answers he wants. We just traded in our Honda CR-V for a Honda minivan, and predictably, Theo was a bit stressed about relinquishing the CR-V. (He gets a little agitated by big changes these days.) And so, we had this conversation at the car dealer:

Theo: We're going to buy a van!
Me: Yes, we're going to give the dealer Mommy's car, and we'll take home a van.
Theo: When are we going to give it back?
Me: We're not. They'll have our car, and we'll take the van. That will be our new car.
Theo: Who's going to get our car?
Me: I'm not sure--the dealer will sell it to someone.
Theo: Who's he going to sell it to?
Me: I'm not sure. Probably someone who doesn't have kids. Sometimes when you have kids, you need a little bit more space in the car.
Theo: But who's he going to sell it to that doesn't have kids?
Me: I don't know. Maybe some old people...
Theo: What are the old people's names?
Me (wracking my brain to invent some old people): John and Mary.
Theo: Who are they?

...and so I had to invent a detailed character sketch of John and Mary, the old people who bought our CR-V. This was Sunday, and I thought it was over...until Wednesday, when he suddenly brought them up again.

Theo: Mama, did John and Mary buy our car?
Me: Yep, they sure did!
Theo: What are they doing with it?
Me: Um, probably driving it...
Theo: When are their birthdays?
Me (wondering where on earth that came from): Um...February 12th...

I guarantee you I'll get caught in this web of lies somehow, when Theo once again interrogates me about the mysterious John and Mary and I forget what sorts of details I invented for them. Sigh...that boy needs to put his powers of interrogation to good use someday!

No comments: