Thursday, February 14, 2013

Talking to the Authorities

For a long time, Theo thought Chris and I knew everything. Now he has decided that if he doesn't like our answers, he'll take it upon himself to go further up the ladder to get some results.

This first happened last week, when I was taking him to the dentist. His dentist is in an old two-story building that doesn't have an elevator. (It is built into the side of a hill, so there are ramps and such that make it disabled-accessible.) I can't tell you how many times I've told him that there is no elevator in the building, but he doesn't believe me.

We were running late to the dentist, so I called them to say we'd be five minutes late. Theo had been hammering me for a good 15 minutes about the darn elevator, and when I hung up the phone, he said, "Wait--I needed to talk to them! Can you call them back?"

"Why?" I asked. "Because I need to ask them about the elevator," he informed me. Aha. My 15 minutes of insisting that there is no elevator in the building apparently means nothing. And yes, when we got to the dentist, he strode right up to the office manager and inquired about the elevator, and whether they might have an escalator instead.

This was again an issue two days ago. We went to Kaiser, and the building we were in has an elevator. But it's a very small building, so I assumed there was just the one elevator. Theo, however, insisted that there was a second one. Being the fool that I am, I assumed that I was right, so I said, "No, Theo, I'm quite sure there's only one elevator in this building!"

"I'll go check," he told me.

"No," I said, "you'll stay here in the pediatrician's office with me."

So what did he do? Waited patiently until we were called to the reception window, and then strode up and said, "Um, hi. Do you have two elevators in this building?" The receptionist said that yes, they did...and now I'm quite sure I'll never hear the end of it!

No comments: