Friday, August 10, 2012

Well, Yes...That's Good Behavior

I took the boys to Target the other day, against my better judgment. Neither of my boys likes to shop. Sam tends to fuss and cry throughout the store, and Theo resists holding my hand (but then gets distracted by every display and dawdles like crazy as we try to make it through the store) and whines about everything. Nevertheless, I needed a couple of things at Target, so off we went. Theo was acting up in the car, and despite his distaste for shopping, I also knew he was bored and wanted the distraction of going in the store. So we had this chat:

Me: Theo, you're acting up right now. Knock it off, or we're not going in the store.
Silence, as he ignores me. 
Me: Theo, are you listening? I will not take you in the store if you misbehave. Do you understand?
Theo: Yes...
Me (knowing that Theo needs very explicit instructions for things): So you need to use good behavior in the store. Do you know what good behavior is?
Theo: Yes. No fussing and no pulling down your pants.

I was a bit taken aback, as I hadn't expected "pulling down your pants" to be part of the response. I was thinking more of "hold Mommy's hand and no fussing." Then it dawned on me: The last time Chris took the boys to Target, he turned around to tend to fussy Sam for a moment, and when he turned back around, Theo was standing in the checkout line with his pants down! Chris said, "Theo, what are you doing?!" and Theo calmly replied, "I need to go potty." And a discussion of when it's appropriate to pull down your pants ensued.
So for future reference, good behavior equals no whining and no pulling down your pants in the checkout line!

No comments: