Friday, August 10, 2012

It Has Come Back to Haunt Me

There's a parenting strategy that says you should give your child two choices, so they feel as if they have some control over their environment. For example, instead of saying, "You're having waffles for breakfast," you might say, "Would you like waffles or French toast today?" Any more than two choices, and your child may get overwhelmed, says the strategy...any fewer, and your child may be frustrated that he has no say in his own life.
This strategy actually works pretty well for us, so it's one we've used for the past few years. However, it has now come back to bite me in the rear, as Theo has figured out that he ought to be able to use it! For example, the other night he wanted to go swimming, but it was getting late and he was kind of wild and uncooperative, so I didn't feel up to the pool. So I said, "No, I think we'll go swimming tomorrow instead. It's almost bedtime." His reply?
"I have two choices: I can go swimming tonight or I can watch a show on TV!"
Notice that bedtime was nowhere in either of his choices. :-)

No comments: