Friday, August 10, 2012

The Professor Speaks

Theo very often sounds like a little old man when he talks. Supposedly that's a sign of Asperger's syndrome, and since Theo is supposedly on the autism spectrum...well, maybe that explains it. Or maybe it's just Theo and has nothing to do with autism or Asperger's. Either way, it's one of the traits that I found most amusing and endearing about him. A little, cherubic four-year-old with big, guileless eyes spouting professor-speak is pretty entertaining. Last night, while on a walk, we had this conversation:

Theo: Are there rabbits in the bushes, Mom?
Me: There might be.
Theo: Can I hug them?
Me: Probably not. Some rabbits are wild, and you can't hug those. You can only hug a rabbit that's someone's pet.
Theo: Will the rabbit shake the bushes when he comes out?
Me: He might.
Theo: I need to go home and check my paperwork about this.
Me: You have paperwork about rabbits in bushes?
Theo: Yeah, Mom. My papers. And my books. I need to look this up in my books at home.

I was really curious to see what books he planned to consult about the subject, but alas, he had forgotten about it by the time we got home....

No comments: