Saturday, May 5, 2012

My Son the Smartass

I'm chagrined to admit that Theo outsmarts me on a somewhat regular basis. And he's now old enough to taunt me about it. Which is both annoying and amusing. Yesterday, we had this exchange in the car, in response to Theo throwing a giant fit over the fact that the lid came off his cup.

Theo (screaming): Put the lid back on my cup NOW, Mommy!


Mommy, knowing that she can't do much disciplining while driving on the freeway at 70 mph, chooses to ignore the rude demand and enact the ultimate punishment--turning off the radio.


Theo: NOOOOO! I want the radio back on!!
Mommy: Do you know why I turned it off?
Theo: Because I was fussing.
Mommy: Yes, you were fussing and yelling at Mommy. So the radio is not going back on.


Silence from the backseat leads to surprise from Mommy, who was expecting a full-blown screaming session over the injustice of the radio being turned off. The reason for the silence becomes apparent in a few seconds, as the strains of the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling" emanate from the back seat. Theo has found his iPod and turned on the music. Unfortunately, while driving on the freeway, Mommy cannot turn around and grab the iPod to continue the "no music" punishment, so she grits her teeth and ignores it. 


Theo: Look, Mommy, I have music! I have lots and lots of music on my iPod!


Mommy ignores Theo's obvious attempts to bait her and continues driving. 


Theo: I can play songs on my iPod! I have lots of songs on my iPod!


Mommy continues to ignore this, and Theo continues to taunt Mommy while she drives, knowing that to continue to drive safely, so has to let him win this round. Mommy was both annoyed by and amused at his cleverness. The problem with having a smart kiddo....

No comments: