Monday, May 28, 2012

Belly Up to the Bar

For some reason, Theo is lately obsessed with bars. "Bars have scary mans in them, Mommy," he tells me...many times a day. I assure him that we won't be taking him in any bars, so there's no need to worry. Yet he's fascinated--he wants to know what they do in bars ("Order drinks, Theo...") and who goes to bars ("Lots of people, Theo. And they're not usually scary. But you have to be a grown-up."). He's fascinated by the fact that they play music in bars, too.

So lately, we've had some fun comments about the bars. One day at music class, his teacher pulled out a cello and announced that the kids could play it. Theo yelled, "Mommy! A cello! It's just like at the bar!" (Because apparently they play cellos at bars--who knew?!)

Another day, we were walking around downtown Clayton, and we stopped to get a cookie at the cafe. Chris stayed outside, pushing sleeping Sam in the stroller to keep him asleep. When we emerged from the cafe, Chris was nowhere to be seen...and Theo somberly announced, "I fink Daddy's at the bar, Mommy." (If you know Chris, you know how laughable this is. He's not a bar type!)

He has also informed me that "When I'm 21, Papa [his paternal grandfather] will take me to the bar, and I will order drinks. I will have beer and wine and bottled water!"

Last but not least, today he needed to go to the bathroom, so we stopped at a stripmall. Chris said he wasn't going to take him in Target, as he knew that particular Target had very loud hand dryers (which Theo is terrified of). So Theo piped up with a loud, "Daddy, can you take me to the bar?"

I would love to know what the people in the parking lot thought when they heard that one. Because we all know HOW LOUDLY THEO TALKS!!

No comments: