Thursday, April 10, 2014

Life's Injustices


Theo's big birthday wish was to spend the night in a hotel, so we took him to one after a day of visiting with his grandma, auntie and uncle, and cousins. But the next morning, he was in an emotional tizzy about leaving the hotel this morning. He sat on the couch with tears rolling down his cheeks after realizing that none of his plans for how to stay would work. It was hard to keep a straight face during our conversation:

Theo: Well, I am just going to become president, and I will change the law!
Me: What law?
Theo: To say that you can stay in a hotel for eight days!
Me: You can stay in a hotel for eight days; you just have to be able to pay for it.
Theo: Well, then, you should put Sam down for a five-hour nap so you can work to pay for it! [Clearly he thinks my hourly pay is a whole lot more impressive than it really is!]
Me: It would take a lot more than five hours of work to pay for eight days in a hotel, I'm afraid.
Theo: Well, then I am just going to take all of the dishes and plates and especially wine glasses, because they're very breakable, and I'm going to put them in the bedroom and lock the door! 
Me: Well, how would that keep us from leaving the hotel?
Theo: You couldn't open the door to the bedroom to get me out, because you would break everything! [Hmm, pretty decent idea, but still not a solution.]
Me: Theo, I love you. [I thought maybe some reassurance would help.]
Theo: Yes. And how unfair is it that you don't let me drink out of wine glasses?!
Me (stifling a smile): Tell you what. As a special treat tonight, you can drink water out of a wine glass.
Theo: Why not always?
Me: Ahhhh, Theo! Have you ever heard anyone tell you not to look a gift horse in the mouth?
Theo: No. And how unfair is it that Papa gets to take his drink in the family room and I can't?!

After the list of injustices concluded, he moved on to his plans to skip school for the week. Good to know something things never change...and that the hotel was clearly a hit!


No comments: