Monday, December 30, 2013

The Literal Child, Part II

Theo is fascinated by wheelchairs. Yesterday, at the farmers' market, we saw a man in a wheelchair, and Theo kind of sing-songed, "That's man's in a wheelchair!" I immediately pulled him aside and explained that it wasn't nice to say that. Knowing that Theo is very literal, I tried to explain carefully the problem. "Most people who are in wheelchairs don't want to be in wheelchairs. They'd rather be able to walk like you and me. So it can make them sad and hurt their feelings if you talk about them being in a wheelchair. Instead, you should just say 'hi,' like you would to any person."

Theo thought for a moment and then said, "Okay, Mommy. The next time I see that man, I will say, 'Hi! You're sad because you're in a wheelchair!'"

Oh dear. Not quite...

No comments: