Thursday, December 5, 2013

Airport Security

Last weekend, we had to drop Chris at San Francisco Airport for his flight to Philadelphia. Theo was very upset, as he likes his dad to be home every night. He tried so hard to be brave, but I turned around as we approached the airport to see silent tears streaming down his face. Broke my heart! We managed to distract him with talk of airports, and one thing he wanted to know about was why people sometimes get their bags searched in the airport. "Well," I said, "there are certain things you're not allowed to bring on planes. Guns, knives, scissors... And the security people sometimes check your bags to make sure you don't have any of those things in them."

I figured that was the end of the discussion, and we dropped Chris off with a few tears from Theo, but he held it together okay. However, as we were driving on the freeway about five miles from the airport, having already dropped Chris, Theo suddenly yelled, "Make a U-turn!"

"Why?" I asked.

"You need to make a U-turn right now, Mommy! Take me back to the airport, and drop me off! I am going to walk into the airport, and I won't bring a knife, and I'm going to get on that plane with Daddy!"

Good to know he won't be bringing forbidden items with him on his business trip....

No comments: