Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Words Come Back to Haunt Me...

Theo and I had a bit of a skirmish yesterday morning. He had woken up at 4:40 a.m. and was rather cranky by 9 a.m. I had just sat through 75 minutes of traffic to get him to his OT appointment, so I was cranky, too. And so, I was lacking in patience when he woke up his brother after I specifically told him not to talk while getting out of the car. (My plan was to run Theo up to the door of his appointment, all of 25 feet from where I was parked, while keeping an eye on the van with sleeping Sam inside.) And so, we had this exchange:

Theo: Mom, are you angry with me?
Me: I'm frustrated with you for waking Sammy when I asked you not to.
Theo: I'm sorry, Mom...
Me: I know you are. Let's just go to your appointment. You can try harder to stay quiet next time....
Theo: Mom, you need to shape up right now! And lose the attitude!

I was so taken aback that I started to laugh. He was so indignant! And I know exactly where he heard the phrase "lose the attitude"--from his parents, who are rather frustrated lately with the four-year-old sass!

Ahhhh, it hurts when your words come back to haunt you....

No comments: