Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Man with a Plan

Theo has a fun new way of expressing himself when he's mad: He tells you exactly what he's going to do, in great detail, using the phrasing "I'm just going to..." at the beginning of every sentence or phrase. You're wondering how this is amusing? Picture this: Last night we tried to go to a book sale at our library, only to find out that Friday night was members-only night...and we're not members. Theo, who hadn't wanted to go in the first place, suddenly really wanted to go and was furious when we said we had to just walk home instead of going in. So imagine an incredibly indignant, blonde-haired, blue-eyed cherub announcing with all the fury he can muster:  "No! I am just going to get the key to the front door [which hangs way up high so he can't reach it], and I am going to open the front door, and I am going to walk down the driveway, and I am going to look both ways, and I am going to walk into the street, and I am going to stay in the gray part [the gutter on the side of the street--we have no sidewalk], and I am going to walk down the path, and I am going to walk to the library, and I am going to take my ID, and I am going to get a library card [apparently he remembers from several months ago that I couldn't get a library card because I didn't have an ID with the right address on it], and I am going to go to the book sale!" And then he looked at us in all his four-year-old rage, as if defying us to argue with his well-thought-out plan. And yes, the italics are his emphasis. It's rather hilarious. I love that he even threw in the safety points of looking both ways before going into the street and walking in "the gray part." You can't say that boy isn't a thinker....

No comments: