Monday, April 9, 2012

In Praise of Bees

I think I fall into the trap of saying, "Good job!" to Theo pretty often. Why is this a trap? Well, "they" say you're supposed to use specific praise with a child, instead of just saying, "Good job!" And I do give specific praise, but I think I also often say "Good job!" This was evident today at the nursery, where we went to buy planter boxes and veggies to try to create a garden in our cement-covered backyard. There was  a huge bumble bee buzzing around one of the vines, and Theo was getting panicky. In an effort to calm him, I said, "Just ignore him, and he'll ignore you. He's just busy doing his job gathering some pollen to make honey." Theo calmed down, looked at the bee, and proclaimed, "Good job, bee!"

1 comment:

Jonna said...

Well, you did say the bee was doing his job... ;-) I love the literal comprehension stage!