Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Call Him will.i.am...

Theo's latest obsession is the Black Eyed Peas--the group fronted by will.i.am and Fergie. In particular, he loves a video put together by the Today Show where all the editors, producers, and talent for the show dance to the Black Eyed Peas' "I Gotta Feeling." In fact, he's certain that they do this daily at the Today Show, and for that reason he now wants to go to New York and see the Today Show.

Now, most of the time Theo plays by himself. He's not really into cooperative play, unless it's chase. But today, he actually put together an imaginative scene and invited me to play with him:

Theo: Hey, Mama, do you want to sing, and I will play my instruments, and we will be on the Today Show?
Me (startled and delighted by this cooperative imaginative play): Sure! What should we sing?
Theo: The Black Eyed Peas!

And he began to sing "I Gotta Feeling" while jumping on his trampoline and playing the saxophone. (Because, of course, we must be doing at least three things at once--doing one thing simply will not suffice in Theo's world!) I sang along, and we had a grand old time. And all the while I was thinking, "Well, cooperative imaginative play for a lot of kids is probably more along the lines of 'let's play prince and princess' or 'let's pretend we're superheroes' or 'let's be firemen'...but my kid wants to play will.i.am...." Fine with me! I guess that makes me Fergie....

No comments: