Sunday, November 16, 2014

More Civil Disobedience


One of Theo's main gripes about first grade is that he doesn't like P.E. In fact, he pretty much hates it. They have it twice a week, and when I pick him up on those days, he is unfailingly grumpy and announces, "We had P.E. today, and it was not fun!" 

Last week, he got in "a really big argument" with his friend Eduardo because Theo decided to wage a quiet protest and sit out, rather than reporting to his P.E. number. Eduardo apparently was quite upset by this and told Theo he had to participate. Upon hearing this, I asked Theo, "What did your P.E. teacher have to say about this?" He replied grumpily, "Nothing. I told her I'm not doing it." I said, "Oh, and she was fine with that?" and he admitted that he had actually told her "in his head"...but that next time, he was going to say it out loud.

"I will just tell her that I'm going back to my classroom instead, Mom. I do not like the jogging they make us do. I'm not doing it." 

Best of luck to you, P.E. teacher....

No comments: