Sunday, November 16, 2014

Job Opportunities


My biggest client closed their doors several weeks ago, so we've had to make some necessary budget cuts to account for the large drop in income. Theo wasn't thrilled by some of them, so I tried to make it into a teachable moment when he grumpily announced that I should just "make more money."

Me: Well, it's not that easy. People need to hire you for you to be able to make money.
Theo: Well, Mom, you could go work at Safeway.
Me: Yes, I could. It's been a long time since I worked at a grocery store, though. I don't have much recent experience.
Theo: Well, then you could go work at Starbucks!
Me: Wouldn't that be fun? But I don't know how to make coffee. I'm not sure they'd hire me.
Theo: Okay, then how about you go work with Daddy at Genentech?
Me: I've thought about that, but you know what? I'd never see you guys! I'd be working all day Monday through Friday, and I wouldn't get to take time off to do stuff with your school. I like to work at home so I can spend time with you and Sam.
Theo: Okay, then maybe you can earn some money by taking the yard waste out to the curb on garbage day.
Me: That's your job. Are you going to pay me?
Theo: Yes. Also, you can make some money raking leaves.
Me: And you're going to pay me?
Theo: Yes. On credit. How much do I need to pay you?
Me: Oh, I think $1,000 sounds fair....
Theo: No, I think more like 50 cents, Mom. Two quarters. That's enough to get you started, Mom.

Good that I have him to look out for my financial future....

No comments: