Sunday, November 16, 2014

Bear Safety


Theo, on bear safety:

Theo: Mom, what if I saw a bear?
Me: Well, we don't really have bears around here. A mountain lion would be more likely.
Theo: But what if I did? What if I was somewhere and saw a bear?
Me: Then you should try to make yourself look as BIG as possible, and make a lot of noise. Don't run, because if you run the bear will think you're another animal, and it might chase you.
Theo: Or I could just use a gun and shoot it.
Me: Well, that's a rather drastic step, but yes, I suppose that is one answer. But you won't have a gun if you're a kid. And hopefully not as an adult, either.
Theo: Well, I could also just distract the bear by juggling.

Indeed. I hear bears are often effectively distracted by juggling children.

2 comments:

Ruth Feiertag said...

Is that by children who are doing the juggling or do the bears distract themselves by keeping children up in the air?

Ruth

Cathleen said...

Ha! Good catch! I'm going to leave that misplaced modifier in there just because it's so much fun. :-)