Tuesday, November 12, 2013

That Five-Year-Old Attitude

In general, I like the age of five. I did not like the age of four very much. Don't get me wrong—Theo did and said a lot of endearing things when he was four. But it was a long year filled with a lot of battles. It was exhausting. In general, I much prefer age five. He's more mature now...more willing to cooperate...less combative...most of the time. Emphasis on most...

Me (attempting to end some sort of ridiculous argument that I don't even remember the point of): ...and that's it, Theo. We're not going to talk about it anymore!
Theo (in the snotty tone of a teenager): Why?
Me: Because I said so, and I make the rules.
Theo: No, you don't make the rules, Mommy.
Me: Yes, I'm quite sure that I do.
Theo: No, Mommy. I am changing it. I am changing it, and you don't make the rules. I make the rules, and the rules are whatever comes out of my mouth!

Good lord. That's a scary thought right there: a world where the rules are whatever comes out of Theo's mouth. God help us all...

No comments: