Friday, September 21, 2012

One-Track Mind

Theo loves the school bus pretty much more than life. On the rare occasions that the bus hasn't come and I've had to take him to school, he is all out of sorts. Today, I have to pick him up from school because he has a dentist appointment. As you might imagine, this news didn't go over well. We had the following conversation in the car:

Theo (whining loudly): I don't want you to pick me up from school! I want to ride the bus! Why can't I ride the bus?
Me (rather exasperated from already having explained this half a dozen times): You have a dentist appointment. The bus won't get you home in time. You can ride the bus home again on Monday, but not today.
Theo (whining even more): But I want to ride my bus! I don't want you to pick me up! I don't like you to pick me up! I want to ride the bus instead!
Me: Theo, I'm picking you up. And I'm not talking about this anymore.
Theo: No! Ride the bus or nothing! Ride the bus or nothing, Mom! Those are my choices! I'm riding the bus or nothing! I am making the decision, Mom!
Me: Well, it's not your decision to make. Let's talk about something else....
Theo: I am going to ride the bus, Mom!
Me (forcing a cheerful tone): So what are you going to do at preschool today?
Theo: I am going to bring a toy for Share Day, and then I am going to get on Bus #102 and I am going to ride my bus home!

Sigh...I asked for that one, didn't I?

No comments: