Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Dearly Departed

Theo has been somewhat obsessed with death lately. Number one, he finds ghosts fascinating, and he thinks people turn into ghosts the minute they die. And number two, he's just trying to put together a very nebulous concept—Theo is very logical-minded and likes everything to have a quantifiable answer, so a vague concept like death is of endless fascination to him. The other day, we had this little chat:

Theo: Mom, I don't know what RIP means.
Me: It stands for "Rest in peace." You say it when someone dies. A lot of times when people die, they've been very sick, and when they die they're more comfortable. So you want them to feel peace.
Theo (pondering): Like Grandpa Steve. I feel sad for him because he died, but I want him to be happy. So rest in peace.
Me: Right! That would be a very nice thing to say.
Theo: I better say that to Mrs. Jacobson [his teacher] tomorrow!

Um, no. Given that she's alive and well and roughly my age, I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to be told to rest in peace!

No comments: