Sunday, June 16, 2013

How Babies Are Made

I knew this time would come eventually. Today, Theo came out with the age-old question: "Mommy, how do you get a baby in your tummy?"

Naturally, he broke this out at a rather inconvenient time (the middle of a parking lot, heading into a store so he could use the bathroom urgently). So I wasn't inclined to get into discussions of eggs and sperm and all that good stuff. Instead, I just said, "That's a very good question, but it's one we'll talk about when you're older. For now, let's just say it's magic."

Never one to let things go, Theo announced, "I don't think it's magic, Mommy. I think it's the baby rocket. The baby rides into your tummy on the baby rocket!"

Certainly, this is a clever idea...and I had to stifle a giggle as I thought about the true delivery method of sperm to egg (at least in most cases). Hmmm, "baby rocket"--a new euphemism for the male anatomy?!

No comments: