Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Daycare for the Elderly

Theo is dying to go to daycare. He thinks it's the ultimate in excitement, and he asks about it all the time. Today's conversation went like this:

Theo: I want to go to daycare!
Me: Mommy works at home, so you don't have to go to daycare.
Theo: When Mommy doesn't work, I can go to daycare!
Me: Well, not quite. If I don't work, I'm still at home...so you still don't go to daycare.
Theo: When Mommy is up in the stars [translation: DEAD!], I can go to daycare.
Me (snickering): Well, I'm hoping not to be up in the stars anytime soon.
Theo: When I am 91 years old, I can go to daycare!
Me (laughing more): It's not the same kind of daycare when you're 91....
Theo: What kind of daycare is it?
Me: Old-person daycare...
Theo: What do you do at old-person daycare?
Me: Um, drool a lot. (Yes, I realize that's a horrible joke, but I couldn't help it!)
Theo: Are there toys there?
Me: No, you don't play with toys when you're 91....
Theo: Then what do you do?
Me: Um, sit quietly and eat soft, mushy foods.

That stopped the questioning...for a while. He doesn't particularly care for soft, mushy foods, so perhaps I have taken away the allure of daycare?!

No comments: